When Tekla Structures starts up, it asks me to choose between on-premises and online license. What do I select?
In most cases, you will use the on-premises license server. Choose Tekla online license only in the following cases:
- Tekla PowerFab suite license.
- Tekla Structures Partner license.
- Tekla Campusonline portal service for students to learn Tekla Structures
Tekla Campus offers a student license for downloading a Tekla Structures learning edition, and it includes a learning environment for Tekla BIM tools.
Tekla Campus is one of the Tekla online services.
To use your online licenses, log in with your Trimble Identityuser account to Tekla online services and other Trimble services
For a Tekla Structures user, Trimble Identity is a single sign-on account which enables the user’s online identity management. The organization that the user’s Trimble Identity belongs to, determines the user’s access rights. Trimble Identity is needed, for example, for Tekla Campus and Tekla Warehouse, and to log in to Tekla User Assistance.
. The Tekla Online administrator at your organization is responsible for assigning any commercial licenses to you. The free student license is generated at the Tekla Campus site.
To use on-premises licensing, you or the Tekla Structures administrator in your organization must install the license server on a server computer in your network (so that it can be used by many users) or on the same computer as Tekla Structures (if you do not need to share the license). If you have not 1) installed the license server and 2) activated your license, do so now.
- If you installed Tekla Structures and the license server on the same computer, the system automatically uses the license server on the computer when you start Tekla Structures.
- If you installed Tekla Structures and the license server on separate computers, you must enter the address of the computer on which you installed the license server. See Connect Tekla Structures to the license server.
Moving forward, we recommend that you upgrade to the latest license server version when you upgrade Tekla Structures. Each license server version is typically compatible with several Tekla Structures versions, but if you do not upgrade the license server, it will eventually stop working with newer Tekla Structures versions.