It is often misunderstood that an applicationpart of Tekla Structures functionality that is developed in order to extend the capability of Tekla Structures but that is not included in the Tekla Structures installation
that uses multi-thread processing guarantees ultimate performance. This article gives some explanations on why it is not that straightforward, and why Tekla Structures is able to give exceptional performance for detailing any project to its finest details.
What is a multi-core processor?
Due to physical constraints, the processor manufacturers realized that it is impossible to keep improving the processing speed in a single core. The obvious step to improve the performance was to start creating multi-core processors so that calculations could be done in multiple threads.
How to utilize multiple cores?
There are two ways to utilize multiple cores in a single machine:
- By running several programs at the same time - for example, a web browser and a CAD software
- By running several threads within a single program
There are two main parameters to consider if it is beneficial to use multithreading in a single program:
- Complexity of operations
- Complexity of the flow between the operations
Complexity of operations means how much computing is needed for a single taskin the task manager, a representation of a piece of work that needs to be carried out in order to complete a project
. Complexity of the flow between operations means what the interdependencies are between the operations. If there are a lot of interdependencies, this may block the flow which may cause slow performance and unstable results.
Therefore, multithreading is not typically used in CAD applications where there is a lot of complexity in the flow between operations. It is more typical and beneficial to use multithreading, for example, in computer games and renderingprocess of making the model object faces visible
The rendered model object faces can be transparent or non-transparent
Is Tekla a multi-threaded application?
Tekla Structures is optimized to handle any project and it uses multiple threads in executing certain software components. Some components, however, are run in a single thread due to the complexity of the flow between operations. Those components are more reasonable to keep as single threaded with optimized flow of operations. In addition, that enables better maintainability, stability, and more agile product development.
Here are other key facts about Tekla Structures software architecture:
- Optimized flow of operations for single-thread operations
- 64-bit software
- Optimized and compact in memory database system
- Own solid kernel purpose-built for fast and robust structural BIMprocess of modeling and communicating the structure of a building in detail to benefit the entire construction life cycle
BIM facilitates the exchange and use of building information in a digital format.
- Independent technology component for graphics with modern GPU usage
- Extendability with plug-ins and application extensions
- Extendable data model with user-defined attributes
- Concurrent editing of models with incremental changes (Tekla Model Sharingcloud service for collaboration and for storing and sharing a model
Tekla Model Sharing is one of the Tekla Online services.