The Wraparound dimensioning application helps create dimensions for pipe or tube ends in wraparound template drawings. These dimensions can be used in layout of points for manual cutting or quality assurance.
Tekla Structures version: Not version specific
To install the extension:
- Download the Wraparound dimensioning installer package from Tekla Warehouse. For more information see Downloading an application from Tekla Warehouse.
- Run the installer.
To use the extension:
- Open the wraparound drawing to be dimensioned
- Click the Applications & components button in the side pane to open the Applications & components cataloguser interface for displaying or modifying information in categorized lists
For example, profile catalog and shape catalog are catalogs.
- Search for Wraparound dimensioning and then double-click to open it.
- The Wraparound dimensioning dialog window will open.
- Choose the dimension properties to be used for the dimensions.
- Enter the "Length of shortest dimension" to define the base reference lineline between two reference points
For example, if the user picks two points to position a beam, these points form the reference line, and handles appear at the line ends.
- Select which dimensions to create: inner, outer, etc.
- Click "Create dimensions"
- The status bar will indicate that dimensions are being created, and "Done" when finished.
Dimensions created by this applicaiton can be easily deleted from a drawing by clicking "Delete dimensions".
|Dimension properties||The properties to be used to define the appearance, color, size, etc. of the dimensions created.|
|Length of shortest dimension||This defines the virtual base line to be used as reference when dimensioning the end of the unwrapped pipe. The virtual base line will created at the specified distance from the shortest point at each end.|
|Dimensions to create:||This controls what surface and points of the part geometry to use for dimensioning.|
|Inner diameter||The inner surface of the pipe will be used|
|Outer diameter||The outer surface of the pipe will be used|
|Shortest of both||The shorter points of the inner and outer surfaces will be used|
|Longest of both||The longer points of the inner and outer surfaces will be used|
It is necessary to re-start the applicaiton if new dimension property settings are created while the applicaiton is open. Re-starting the application will refresh the list of availabel dimension property sets.
Wraparound template drawings
The view used in the wraparound template drawing should be the 'Front' view, and it cannot be rotated around any part axis or the created dimensions will be offset and incorrect.
To create a wraparound template with the part unwrapped vertically in the drawing (often done by rotating the view 90 degrees around the Z axis), the drawing should first be created with the above settings. The wraparound dimensions can then be created, and the view manually rotated 90 degrees using the View > Rotate view command.
Uncut and 'square' ends
If the end of a pipe is uncut, or cut perfectly square (perpendicular to the axis), no dimensions will be created.
This application uses the solid of the part to generate the dimensions. The number and spacing of the dimensions is directly related to the number of segments the pipe cross sectiongeometrical form of a part sectioned perpendicular to its axis
is defined by.