Use the Linking documents to Trimble Connect(1) application for information sharing and collaboration for construction projects that is based on the Trimble Connect platform
(1) Reference models are used in Trimble Connect application instead of using import and export.
(1) Trimble Connect application includes web, desktop and mobile clients, and the Sync tool, for example.
(2) Trimble’s platform for microservices in the cloud
(2) Trimble Connect platform's microservices include services for uploading, storing, processing, and managing or consuming data. These services are meant to provide common solutions required by multiple applications.
to automatically add documents from Tekla Structures model to a Trimble Connect project. This will link workshop, assembly, cast unit and GA drawings, NC and IFCfile format commonly used in BIM that facilitates software interoperability
IFC is an open specification developed by the IAI (International Alliance for Interoperability).
Model can be exported into an IFC file.
files to the correspondent objects from the IFC model in a Trimble Connect project.
Note: The .IFC file of the model must be uploded to Trimble Connect directly in root folder before using Linking documents to Trimble Connect
Tekla Structures version: Not version specific
To install the extension:
- Download the Linking documents to Trimble Connect installer package from Tekla Warehouse. For more information see Downloading an application from Tekla Warehouse.
- Install the file package.
- Trimble Connect account - see Trimble Identity for Tekla Online services
- A project on Trimble Connect - see Trimble Connect
- An .IFC of the model uploaded in Trimble Connect project directly in root folder
To use the application:
- Open a Tekla model.
- Click the Applications & components button in the side pane to open the Applications & components cataloguser interface for displaying or modifying information in categorized lists
For example, profile catalog and shape catalog are catalogs.
- Search for Linking documents to Trimble Connect and then double-click to open it.
- Sign in:
- If you are signed in into Tekla Structures with your Trimble Identityuser account to Tekla online services and other Trimble services
For a Tekla Structures user, Trimble Identity is a single sign-on account which enables the user’s online identity management. The organization that the user’s Trimble Identity belongs to, determines the user’s access rights. Trimble Identity is needed, for example, for Tekla Campus and Tekla Warehouse, and to log in to Tekla User Assistance.
for Tekla Online servicesservices provided for the users of Tekla Structures through different online channels
Tekla online services include Tekla Campus, Tekla User Assistance, and Tekla Warehouse, for example.
account then the extension will automatically sign in using the same account.
- If you are not signed in into Tekla Structures the Sign in to Linking documents to Trimble Connect dialog window opens:
- Linking documents to Trimble Connect window opens
- until Signing in is completed "Refresh" and "Create" buttons are disabled
- at the bottom of this window the following message appears: "Signing in to Trimble Connect"
- projects list associated with the account is loaded from Trimble Connect
- at the bottom of this window the following message appears: "Project list successfully refreshed"
- In Tekla Structures open a model.
- Create a project on Trimble Connect.
- Upload the .IFC of the model from Tekla Structures to Trimble Connect following this steps:
- go to File -> Export -> IFC and then upload through drag and drop on Trimble Connect
- After upload to Trimble Connect is completed, select the desired project and project's IFC files in Linking documents to Trimble Connect
- Make desired modifications
- Click the Create button.
- During linking creation a status bar will display the progress and messages are shown about the status of the project.
- After the upload and linking is completed with success the following message appears "Done".
- In Trimble Connect a folder structure is created with the uploaded documents.
- project’s folder on Trimble Connect with ifc of the model checked
- ifc of the model opened -> Model attachments
- on upper left corner files attached to the ifc of the model are displayed
- check a file and the correspondent object will highlight on the ifc of the model
- clicking on objects in the ifc of the model will bring attached files on the right side
|(1)||Saved attributes list||-|
|(2)||Sign in and out from the extension
|(3)||Save user attribute||-|
|(4)||Delete user attributes||-|
|(5)||Open help file||-|
|(6)||Define the project from Trimble Connect that you want to link documents from Tekla Structures.
Note: The options in this list vary for each user depending on the project uploaded on Trimble Connect.
|(7)||Refreshes the projects list from Trimble Connect.||-|
|(8)||The projects IFC file - IFC file list contains ifcs from Trimble Connect Project root folder.||-|
|(9)||Upload without linking - upload to Trimble Connect documents without linking them to objects|
|(10)||General option tab - options about linking||-|
|(11)||Assembly drawings - export and link assembly drawings||Checked|
|(12)||Single part drawings - export and link single part drawings||Checked|
|(13)||Cast unit drawings - export and link cast unit drawings||Unchecked|
|(14)||GA drawing - export and link GA drawings||Unchecked|
|(15)||NC files - export and link NC files||Unchecked|
|(16)||Assembly / Cast Unit IFC Files||Unchecked|
|(17)||NC files settings
The options are loaded from the NC file settings from Tekla.
Note: NC Files option (15) needs to be activated in order to use this
|(18)||Use to export documents from Tekla Structures and create links to objects with exported documents in Trimble Connect||-|
|(19)||Shows status messages and the progress bar||-|
|(20)||Only for selected objects- exports and links documents in Trimble Connect only for selected objects from Tekla Structures||Unchecked|
|(21)||Use existing PDFs - if activated uses the existing pdf, will not create new pdf's||Unchecked|
The options are:
|(23)||Close - closes the application||-|
- IFC tab
Note: Assembly / Cast Unit IFC Files option needs to be activated in order to use IFC tab
|(1)||IFC attribute part filters - lists all Part selection filters - see Create selection filters||standard|
|(2)||IFC attribute Part faces
|(3)||Move up - moves up in the list the selected filter||-|
|(4)||Move down - moves down the selected filter in the list||-|
|(5)||Adds a new selection filter to the list||-|
|(6)||Deletes the selected filter from the list||-|
|(7)||Filter using main part||Unchecked|
|(8)||IFC attribute file list - a list with all the IFC attributes - it is possible to create new ones - see Export to IFC||-|
- If the application encounters errors, these will be displayed in Linking documents to TrimbleConnect ErrorReport .txt file form the model folderfolder that is used for storing files associated with a model
Tekla Structures stores all files associated with a model in a folder it creates with the same name as the model database (.db1).
In multi-user mode all users access the same model folder.
, along with a message from the status bar: 'Some errors occurred. Please see the log: C:\Tekla\TeklaStructuresModels\model name\Linking documents to TrimbleConnect ErrorReport .txt
- Pdf naming is following the format from the advanced optionssettings used to customize Tekla Structures for specific companies, standards, users, or user groups
In Tekla Structures, advanced options are settings that are used, for example, in a specific project or geographical area, or by a specific company.
In Tekla Structures, advanced options usually begin with the initials XS and are followed by the name of the function, for example XS_BACKGROUND_COLOR.
Note: Only default variables (DRAWING_NAME, DRAWING_TITLE, DRAWING_REVISION and REVISION_MARK) are supported.
- If a drawing is not created because dpm file is not found, in error log will appear the following message: "Dpm file for drawing: [drawing_name] was not found". In this case the drawing needs to be created again, manually.
- When exporting IFC files from Tekla Structures if you want to link assembly related content you should check the following option form "Export to IFC" -> "Advanced" tab, as in picture below:
- If for some reason in the Tekla Structures model are more than one NC filefile that contains information gathered from a model and exported to computer numerical controlled fabrication machinery
Tekla Structures produces NC files in several formats, for example, DSTV.
/ drawing with names that match the following case: C1.nc and c1.nc1 (uppercase / lowercase) the last one will overwrite the first file, because of a windows limitation for case insensitive names in same directory.
- In order to avoid the problem for drawings as a workaround you can change the names of the parts that have case sensitive problems, like in following example:
- For NC documents the tool tries to avoid the problem by splitting the files in separated folders for different kind of setting in NC file export (eg. DSTV for angles / plates / profiles). This approach reduces the probability of having the issue, but not totally. The workaround for NC files would be to create some separate settings for NC files that should match just a profile at a time.
- Select the same type of object from Tekla Structures as the drawing type you want to upload to Trimble Connect (eg. If you want to upload and link Assembly drawings select assemblies from the model)