2017 SP1: IFC4 - New version of IFC standard
The new version of the IFC standard, IFC4, will provide some advantages to the currently used IFC2x3 format when the new features are taken fully into use. While the IFC4 export and import functionalities are not certified yet, the IFC2x3 provides better quality data transfer functionality between different BIM tools.
To start the IFC4 export, on the File menu, click Export > IFC4. This selection is only available after you have set XS_IFC4_EXPORT_PLEASE to TRUE in teklastructures.ini.
IFC4 contains the following new and improved features compared to the IFC2x3 export:
In the IFC4 export, there are two new export types available:
The Reference view is intended to support the referencing workflow, and exported files can be used as reference files, and viewed in a viewer. The Reference view is not meant to be used for conversion to native objects.
For conversion purpose there is another export type Design transfer view. Design transfer view is intended for the handover workflow, meaning import for further editing. This requires the conversion of the IFC entities into native objects. One example is the takeover of the structural engineering model (or part of it) into the basis of the structural detailing modeling . The IFC object conversion will be used to convert the IFC entities to Tekla Structures native objects. Typically this import and conversion are only needed to be done a couple of times, or even once only. The result may require some rework to accomplish a proper model.
After the export an info dialog box is displayed. In this dialog box, you can open the folder where the exported IFC model is stored, and view the log file in a browser. The log file gives detailed information of the export process, exported entities and the errors occurred during the export.
- The dialog box has a new look and feel. All options are now on one page, not on several tabs.
- The basic functionality is the same as that of the IFC2x3 export.
Limitations in IFC4 export
- The export is not certified by buildingSMART and may therefore have syntax and content issues.
- The user interface does not provide all the features included in the IFC2x3 export user interface.
- Rebars created by using the rebar set commands are not exported to IFC4.
- The Reference view is intended to be used for design coordination and for referencing workflow. Due to the API change, all the needed pieces of data may not be available, and therefore the resulting IFC model may be incomplete.
- The Design transfer view supports only limited level of details, which means that cuts and openings are not exported.
- Do not try to convert IFC4 model objects, this may result in a Tekla Structures application error with all Tekla Structures versions.
- At the moment, the IfcZip output format does not work.
- We do not recommend using IFC4 in production projects yet.