Manage overlay models in Trimble Connector
Overlay models are lightweight reference models that are stored in the attached Trimble Connect(1) application for information sharing and collaboration for construction projects that is based on the Trimble Connect platform
(1) Reference models are used in Trimble Connect application instead of using import and export.
(1) Trimble Connect application includes web, desktop and mobile clients, and the Sync tool, for example.
(2) Trimble’s platform for microservices in the cloud
(2) Trimble Connect platform’s microservices include services for uploading, storing, processing, and managing or consuming data. These services are meant to provide common solutions required by multiple applications.
project. Overlay models can be quickly attached to the Tekla Structures model to show model objects on top of the Tekla Structures model. You can manage overlay models in many ways: for example, add new overlay models, adjust the scale and position of the overlay models, and inquire the properties of the overlay model objects.
Because overlay models are saved in the Trimble Connect project, you cannot use them in a Tekla Structures model unless the Tekla Structures model has been linked to a Trimble Connect project. Before you can start working with overlay models, link your Tekla Structures model to a Trimble Connect project.
To start managing overlay models:
On the Trimble Connect ribbon tab, click Models.
The Trimble Connect - Models dialog box opens. You can manage overlay models on the Overlay models tab, and regular reference models on the Reference models tab,
In the Trimbel Connect - Models dialog box, open the Overlay models tab.
Manage the visibility of overlay models
Only show overlay model objects within the current work area
Show a list of all folders and overlay models in the Trimble Connect project
Show a list containing only the folders and overlay models that you can currently show or hide in this model
Hide or show overlay models
If a model cannot be converted to the right format and therefore, cannot be shown, a warning icon () is shown on the left side of the model.
Zoom to an overlay model
Add overlay models
- Select the folder in which you want to add a new overlay model.
- Click .
- Select Attach model.
- In the Attach model dialog box, click Browse..., and browse to find the overlay model.
- Select the overlay model, and click Open.
- In Location by, select one of the following options:
Model origin inserts the model relative to 0,0,0.
Work plane inserts the model relative to the current work planeplane that the user has chosen in a model and that is currently active for working on in a model view
Newly created, copied, or moved model objects comply with the work plane. For example, shifting the work plane to follow a sloped plane makes it easier to model sloped structures.
Base point:<name of base pointpoint in a model that is used to define a starting point in surveying and that is used as an anchor point in coordinate and height transformations
A Tekla Structures project can have several base points but only one of them can be the project base point.
Base points allow the use of another coordinate system needed for interoperability and collaboration. Base points can also be used in drawings, and in reports and templates. Model origin is the default base point in Tekla Structures.
Base points are also called control points.
> inserts the model relative to the base point by using coordinate system values East coordinate, North coordinate, Elevation, and Angle to North from the base point definition in Project properties.
- Select where you want to place the overlay model. You can enter coordinates in the Offset boxes, or pick a position for the overlay model originglobal coordinate system point of origin used for the model
Model origin is the default project base point.
- Set the Scale of the overlay model if it is different from the one in the Tekla Structures model.
Note that you need to set the scale for a DWG or a file already in AutoCAD. When you define the measurement unit for a DWG or a DXF file and save the file in AutoCAD, the unit is recognized in Tekla Structures, and the overlay model is scaled correctly.
- You can rotate the model around model Z axis by picking a location in the model or entering the desired value in the Rotation box.
The maximum number of decimals for the rotation value is 7.
- Click Attach model.
The model version is added to the selected folder.
- To show the new overlay model in the model viewview that is represented in the modeling mode
Model view is available also in the drawing mode and it is represented in its own window.
, click next to the overlay model.
Create sub-folders for overlay models
You can create sub-folders within the Trimble Connect project to categorize your overlay models. For example, you can create different sub-folders for overlay models according to their file format, their type, or their position in the project.
- Select the folder under which you want to add a sub-folder.
- Click on the right side of the folder.
- Select Create new folder.
- Name the sub-folder and click Create.
Adjust the scale and position of overlay models
A change in the model position or scale is applied to both Tekla Structures and Trimble Connect.
- Select the overlay model whose position you want to adjust.
- To show the model properties, click Properties at the bottom of the Trimble Connect - Models dialog box.
Note that the properties are relative to the project base pointbase point that sets the point of origin for a project if the model has several base points
A project can have only one project base point.
- Type new values for the scale, position, or rotation of the model.
- To apply the changes to the Tekla Structures model view, click Modify.
To return to the initial scale and position of the model, click Reset.
Inquire overlay model objects
You can view the properties of objects and assemblies in overlay models by using the Inquire command.
- Select an object or assembly in an overlay model.
- Right-click the object or assembly.
- Select Inquire.
The Inquire object dialog box shows the properties of the selected object or assembly. The shown properties can differ depending on the overlay model and the model format.
Remove an overlay model from currently used models
- Ensure that you have the Used in the model list open.
- Select the overlay model that you want to remove.
- Click .
- Select Remove from used model tree.
The overlay model is removed from the Used in the model list.
If you want to show the overlay model again, switch to the Everything in project list and click . The overlay model appears in the Used in the model list again.