The BW Industries' Cold Rolled Sleeved connection is used to connect one or two purlins/rails to a rafter/stanchion. It can be used for sleeved joints, butt joints, in the middle of double span purlins/rails, and at gable ends. It should not be used for connections to hip rafters for which a separate joint is available.
For simplicity, this help text, and the joint dialogue, will refer only to purlins and rafters, but unless explicitly stated otherwise, these terms should be taken to mean purlins/rails and rafters/stanchions.
Before and after
- Any modification of the selected parts will cause this joint to be updated.
- Most of the data required for this joint is fixed and is stored in a series of data files supplied with Tekla Structures. The joint cannot handle purlins which are not explicitly included in these files, Tekla Structures will give an error message and leave a red joint symbol. Please contact Tekla Structures support for assistance if that occurs.
- Purlin Positioning
- To achieve the correct bolt positions in purlins, cleats and sleeves etc., purlins will need to be set out correctly in the model before applying the joint. The correct offset from the rafter flange should be obtained from the manufacturer's own literature. For consistent cleat positions along a run of purlins, the joint will ignore the inclusion/exclusion of a sleeve when positioning the cleat. Thus, any sleeves will clash with cleats in the model, and it is recommended that they be excluded from clash checks by using the select filter, e.g. enter SLEEVE in the Name field.
- For a heavy end bay system, it is recommended that each run of purlins have their centre-lines aligned exactly. There will be a slight difference in the cleat positions on the rafters, but this will be within the standard tolerance of the Tekla Structures numberingprocess of assigning position numbers to parts, cast units, assemblies, or reinforcement
In Tekla Structures, the position numbers assigned in the numbering are shown in marks and templates, for example.
- It is also recommended that purlins are set out to the rafter centre-line and any gable overhang is entered into the relevant joint parameter.
Selection order example
- Click middle mouse button