Create model objects and modify model object properties by using property pane
There are several ways to create and modify model objects in Tekla Structures.
Alternatively, you can start many of the commands that create model objects by using Quick Launch , or in the property panecontrol element in Tekla Structures user interface in the form of a side pane window
The property pane can be used to show and modify the properties of model objects.
The property pane can be customized by using the property pane editor.
After you have created the model objects, you can view and modify the model objectobject that is represented in a model
A model object is either created in a model or imported into it.
properties by using the property pane.
Create or delete a model object
- Run a command that creates a model object, such as a part.
- On the ribbon: click a command. For example, clickto create a steel beam.
- By using Quick Launch : enter a search term. For example, type steel beam to find the Create steel beam command.
- In the property pane: ensure that you have nothing selected in the model. Click the Object type list button and select from the list the object you want to create.
- Pick points to place the model object in the model.
Tekla Structures creates the model object using the current propertiesproperties related to an object type and applied to new objects of this type
In Tekla Structures, properties related to an object type are activated in the property pane or in the dialog box.
of the object typedescription of a group of objects that share common characteristics
The objects are grouped based on different characteristics in models and in drawings. Examples of model object types are beams and rebar sets. Examples of drawing object types are parts and marks.
- Follow the status bar messages to get instructions on how to proceed.
- To create more model objects with the same properties, pick more points.
The command runs until you end it or start another command.
- If you want to delete a model object, select the object and press Delete.
Modify model object properties by using property pane
Tekla Structures shows the properties of model objects in the property pane, which is a side pane window. Note that you can have only one property side pane window open at a time. This means that you can view the properties of only one object type at a time.
Use the property pane to view and modify the properties of
- parts , such as columns and beams
- rebar sets
- pour objects , pour units and pour breaks
- polygon cuts and part cuts
- construction objects and points
- assemblies and cast units
- surface treatment
To open the model object propertiesproperties associated with an object type
Usually a single object property includes a default value that the user can modify.
- If the property pane is closed: double-click a model object, or click the Properties button in the side pane.
- If the property pane is open: select a model object.
Alternatively, hold down Shift and click a command on the ribbon to open the properties in the property pane.
You can customize the property pane. You can select separately for each object type which properties you wish to see in the property pane. For example, you can organize the settings as you wish, or remove the settings you do not need. You can also add your most needed user-defined attributes (UDAs) directly to the property pane.
- To start modifying the properties, double-click a model object.
The property pane opens and shows the current properties of the object.
- Modify the properties as needed.
Tekla Structures highlights the modified properties in yellow in the property pane.
- If you want to discard some of the changes, click the check marks next to each setting to remove them.
You can clear the check marks one by one, or select a whole section and all its properties.
You can use the Select All and Select None switches at the bottom of the property pane to select all the changes or to clear all the changes.
- When you are ready with the modifications, click Modify to apply the changes.
Tekla Structures uses the properties the next time you create an object of the same type.
If you want to create an object using the standard values instead of the values you just applied, load the standard file first.
Note that if you use contextual toolbar or direct modification to modify a model object, the current properties do not change and are not automatically applied when you create the next object of the same type.
Modify the common properties of different object types by using property pane
When you select several similar objects in the model, the property pane shows the properties that are common for all the selected objects. The settings which have several options have the text Varies in the property pane, and the values or options are shown in a list. If there are no common properties, the property pane is empty.
You can modify the common properties in the same way as any other property. Tekla Structures highlights the modified properties in yellow in the property pane, and these properties will be applied when you click Modify.
Use the Object type list in the property pane to check which objects you have selected in the model and the number of each object type.
Check which objects you have selected in the model
Click the Object type list button to open the list of the selected objects.
The list shows how many objects you have selected for each object type.
The list also shows how many components you have selected. If you select Component in the list, the property pane shows the names and numbers of the components that you have selected in the model.
Modify the object selection in the Object type list
Hold down Ctrl and click the object types in the list that you want to exclude or include in the selection.
The content of the property pane can change according to your selection.
Select all the objects in the Object type list
Click the Select all button.