Import a 2D or 3D DWG or DXF file
In DWG/DXF import, you can convert 2D and 3D objects as parts or reference lines (construction lines).
- On the File menu, click Import > DWG/DXF .
- Enter the name of the import file.
Click Browse... to browse for the file.
- Enter the offset from X, Y and Z.
- Enter the scale.
- Select how to show the imported parts:
Reference lines displays parts in the model as construction lines.
Parts displays the full profile of parts in the original model, based on the profile sizes defined in the Plate profile and Beam profile boxes. You can only use metric profiles with this option.
- Select Use 2D import to import a two-dimensional representationthe way that the information included in a model is represented visually
of the original object.
This is useful when have selected the Reference lines option. Do not select Use 2D import if you want to import the model in 3D.
- Click Import.
Tekla Structures imports the file you specified. If you need to delete the imported parts or reference lines, select the parts or lines and press Delete.
When importing DWG profiles, note the following:
The profile must be the only object in the DWG file. The file should not include any titles, blocks or any other graphics.
The profile must be a closed polyline.
Generating the polylines from an ADSK 3D model requires a number of steps to clean the profile.
The profile needs to be scaled up.
The DWG/DXF files imported with the DWG/DXF tool do not show the surfaces of the imported objects, only the construction lines or lines converted to part profiles that can be used to create a model. If you want to show surfaces of the objects, insert DWG and DXF files as reference models.
- The import functionality is not available in all Tekla Structures configurations. For more information, see Tekla Structures configurations.