Add dimensions to profiles
You can affect the way Tekla Structures dimensions different profiles in drawings. For example, you can have Tekla Structures always dimension round bars to the middle of the profile and large I profiles to the top.
To define dimension settings for profiles, you need to edit the dimension planes table dim_planes_table.txt.
- On the File menu, click Settings > Advanced options and go to the Dimensioning: Parts category.
- Set the advanced option XS_PART_DIMENSION_PLANES_TABLE as follows:
This advanced option defines the path to the part dimension planes table.
- Open the dim_planes_table.txt file in any text editor, for example, Microsoft Notepad. The file is located under the environment folder ..\Tekla Structures\<version>\environments in the \profiles folder. The exact folder location may vary depending on your environment.
- Edit the file contents and save the file.
- To use the new settings in drawings, restart Tekla Structures and recreate the drawings. Changing the file does not automatically update existing drawings.
In this example, the holesmall hollow open throughout a part or assembly that is usually used for fastening parts with bolts or other such objects
Hole is created in the same way as bolts and hole properties are defined in the bolt properties.
dimension is set from the middle of the flange instead of the flange edge for "I" Profile.
Open the file and edit the middle of the column to TRUE* in the ProfType 1 row line, save and restart Tekla Structures. However, when you generate the new drawing, it will create the hole dimension from the middle of the flange.
/*** DIMENSION PLANES TABLE for different profile types and sizes ***/
//Values: -1.0 in max size means no size limit!
/*** FLANGE WEB
ProfType, MaxSize, middle , left, right, middle, bottom, top
// I-profile - horizontal by reference line,vertical from top flange
1, TRUE* , FALSE, FALSE, FALSE, TRUE, TRUE*
(1) Required dimension (middle of flange)
(2) Default dimension (edge of flange)
Here is another example of a dimension planes table:
ProfType,MaxSize, middle,right, left, middle, right, left
1, 300.0, TRUE*, FALSE, FALSE, FALSE, TRUE*, TRUE
7, -1.0, TRUE*, FALSE, FALSE, TRUE*, FALSE, FALSE
The line beginning with 1 means that Tekla Structures always dimensions I profiles ( ProfType = 1) smaller than 300 mm ( MaxSize = 300) to the middle of the flange and to the right edge of the web, no matter how the part was created.
The line beginning with 7 means that Tekla Structures always dimensions round tubes ( ProfType = 7) to the middle of the profile
The ProfType numbers run in the same order as the profiles in the Profile catalog :
1 = I profile
2 = L profile
3 = Z profile
4 = U profile
5 = plate(1) part that represents a flat structure
(1) In some contexts, for example in analysis, the term plate object may be used to refer to plates.
(2) plate that represents a steel structure
(2) Plate is mainly used as a connection piece or as a floor plate.
6 = round bar
7 = round tube
8 = square pipe
9 = C profile
10 = T profile
15 = ZZ profile
16 = CC profile
17 = CW profile
51 = polygon plate
999 = sketched profileparametric user-defined profile created in the sketch editor
The value -1.0 in the MaxSize indicates that there is no size limit for the profile.
The asterisk after TRUE indicates that it is the default value.