Customize dimension line arrows
If you do not find a suitable dimension lineline that visualizes the distance between the defined dimension points
Separate dimensions can be combined into a longer dimension line.
arrow in the Arrow list in the Dimension Properties dialog box, you can create and use an arrow of your own.
First you need to create the arrow symbol in the Symbol Editortool in Tekla Structures that is used for creating and modifying symbols to be used in drawings, reports, and templates
The symbols are saved in symbol files.
, and save the created symbol in the dimension_arrows.sym file. Then you need to add the position of the new symbol in the dimension_arrows.sym file to the configuration file dimension_arrows.txt file. This file tells which arrows are available for use in your environment. Finally, you need to create a bitmap for the new arrow to be used in the Dimension Properties dialog box.
- On the File menu, click Editors > Symbol editor to open the Symbol Editor.
- Open the dimension_arrows.sym file located in the Common environmentTekla Structures environment that forms a basis for other environments
The common environment is included in the software installation and includes the global settings, macros, symbols, items, and fonts, for example. The common environment and global settings form the basis for all other environments.
( ...ProgramData\Trimble\TeklaStructures\<version>\Environments\common\symbols ) or in your environment under the \symbols folder.
- Click an empty symbol slot and sketch your symbol with drawing tools.
You can also import AutoCAD or MicroStation files through File > Import .
- When the symbol is completed, point the symbol slot to check the number of the new symbol at the bottom of the window.
- Save the dimension_arrows.sym file by clicking File > Save .
- Click File > Exit to close the Symbol Editor.
- Open the dimension_arrows.txt file located in the same symbols folder as the dimension_arrows.sym file.
The file contains a list of symbol numbers.
- Add the number of your symbol preceded by two zeros (00) in the correct position and separate it with a comma:
- Click File > Save to save your change.
- Create a bitmap of the new arrow and save it in the ..\ProgramData\Trimble\Tekla Structures\<version>\Bitmaps folder on your computer.
Use the following naming convention in the file name: dr_dialog_dim_arrow_type_004.bmp.
- Finally, restart Tekla Structures.
- Check that the the new arrow is displayed in the Arrow list:
Double-click a dimension in a drawing to open the Dimension Properties dialog box, and then open the Arrow list. You should see that the new arrow symbol is available for use.
We recommend you define a firm folder for symbols, because the default folders are overwritten when you upgrade to a newer version of Tekla Structures. Add the firm folderfolder that is used for storing Tekla Structures-related files customized for a particular organization
A Tekla Structures user can, for example, customize a company’s cloning templates and save them in a sub-folder located under the firm folder. After this, the customized cloning templates can be used in all projects carried out for the company.
to the advanced option DXK_SYMBOLPATH.