Add a distance between component objects
Use reference distancevariable used to pass on distance information in order to define properties
variables to add a distance between two points or a point and a plane. The reference distance changes as you move the objects it refers to. You can use reference distances in calculations, for example, to determine the spacing of rungs on a ladder. Reference distance variables automatically get the prefix D (distance), which is shown in the Variables dialog box.
- In a custom componentcomponent that the user creates and uses for creating model objects whose composition the user can modify as a group
view, select a handle.
This is the starting point for your measurement.
- In the custom component editortool that is used for modifying component that is created by a custom component, and for creating dependencies between component objects and other model objects
, click the Add reference distance button.
- Move the mouse pointer in the view to highlight a plane.
This will be the end point for your measurement. If you cannot highlight the correct plane, change the plane type on the Custom component editor toolbar.
- Click the plane to select it.
Tekla Structures displays the distance.
The corresponding reference distance variablevariable used to pass on distance information in order to define properties
is shown in the Variables dialog box:
Note that the Add reference distance command remains active. You can click more planes if you want to measure other distances.
- To stop measuring, press Esc.
- To check that the reference distance works correctly, move the handle.
The distance changes accordingly. For example: