Problems in Tekla Structures license server installation and connecting to the license server
License server installation fails, and the following message is displayed: "A newer version of this applicationpart of Tekla Structures functionality that is developed in order to extend the capability of Tekla Structures but that is not included in the Tekla Structures installation
is already installed on this computer. If you wish to install this version, please uninstall the newer version first. Click OK to exit the wizard."
Reason: You have a newer version the license server installed.
Solution: You should not install an old version of the license server. Check the latest available license server release on the Tekla Downloads product download page.
The license server version is not dependent on the Tekla Structures. However, if you need to use an older version of the license server for some reason, uninstall the newer version on your computer before installing the older version.
License server installation does not finish (no error message)
Reason: Another software using the FlexNet licensing system is running on the computer.
Solution: Stop all licensing services in LMTOOLS , then install the Tekla Structures license server and restart the licensing services you stopped earlier:
Go to Tekla Structures Licensing > LMTOOLS through the Start menu or Start screen , depending on your Windows operating system.
On the Service/License File tab, ensure that Configuration using services is selected, select a license service from the services list, go to the Start/Stop/Reread tab and click Stop Server.
Do the same for all the services you need to stop.
- Install the Tekla Structures license server.
- In LMTOOLS , start the licensing services you stopped earlier.
Problem in license server connection. The following message is displayed: "Error when connecting to the license server. Contact your system administrator or try another server".
Reason: This problem is often related to firewall settings.
Solution: Check that your firewall allows the client to contact the license server.
License library initialization failed with error: The licensing service is not installed.
Reason: The error occurs when you are starting Tekla Structures License Administration Tool , or when you are trying to run serveractutil.exe command line tool.
Solution: If you selected the Manual option for Tekla Structures licensing service installation then you need to manually install FLEXnet licensing service:
- If you have some other FlexNet licensing service running on the server, stop it before entering the commands.
- Go to the Start menu or Start screen , depending on your Windows operating system, and open Command Prompt as an administrator.
At the command prompt, type the following commands:
cd /D full_path_to_installation_directory
For example, if you install Tekla Structures license server to the default folder, you need to enter cd /D C:\TeklaStructures\License\Server.
Cannot connect to the license server.
Solution: For the first time that you connect to the Tekla Structures license server a client computer that has a new version of Tekla Structures installed, you need to do the following:
- Ensure that both (the client computer and the license server) are in the same domain.
- Ensure that Local Area Network connection is established. The license server and the client computers need to be in the same Local Area Network.
- Turn off the firewall and pause the antispyware/antivirus protection of your computer.
After the steps above do the following on your company's license server:
- Make sure that no one is using Tekla Structures (ask all users to close Tekla Structures).
- Go to C:\TeklaStructures\License\Server and open the tekla.lic file in a text editor.
- Add a free TCP/IP port for the licensing service at the end of the first row, if it does not exist by default. Note that the automatic installation option sets the port by default to 27007.
Example of the first row: SERVER MYSERVER ANY 27007 , where MYSERVER is the license server and 27007 is the port.
- Save and close the file after changes.
- Go to Tekla Structures Licensing > LMTOOLS through the Start menu or Start screen , depending on your Windows operating system.
- On the Service/License File tab, ensure that Configuration using services and Tekla Structures Licensing Service are selected.
- On the Start/Stop/Reread tab, click Stop Server. Wait couple of seconds and click on Start Server.
After defining the server and the port, do the following on your Tekla Structures workstations:
- Start Tekla Structures.
- In the Connect to License Server dialog box, add the port to the front of the server definition and click OK.
Cannot start the Tekla Structures licensing service.
Reason: The tekla-debug.log file may be locked, thus preventing the service from starting.
Solution: Delete the tekla-debug.log and restart the computer.