Re-import a CAD model
Sometimes you have already imported a model, but because of some changes, you need to re-import it.
The profile and material conversion files need to be the same as adopted in the original model importimport of a model from another software to Tekla Structures
Tekla Structures supports several different formats to import models.
The following instructions also apply to CIMsteel (cis/2) models.
- Open Tekla Structures and a model where you have already imported an existing CAD model.
- On the File menu, click Import > CAD .
- Select the import type in the Type list.
For CAD models, this will generally be for SDNF format files only.
- Enter a new name for the imported model in the Name box.
The total path and filename cannot be longer than 80 characters. If the total path is too long, a message is displayed saying "File name and path is too long. Please, place the file into another directory." Also, if you use the same name as in the original import, Tekla Structures gives the warning message "Illegal name for import model."
- Click the Properties button and ensure that the Profile material conversion files on the Conversion tab are the same as adopted in the original model import.
- Go to the Advanced tab and define the actions Tekla Structures takes when importing changed objects:
The left-hand column, Previous plan , lists the state of the objects in your model, compared with the state of objects in the file to be imported. They can be New , Modified , Deleted , or Same.
The objects can be Not in model , Different , or Same.
Use the list boxes in the rows under Not in model , Different , or Same to specify the actions to take when importing changed objects. The options are No action , Copy , Modify , or Delete.
You can select Delete only for Deleted objects. You can only use Delete to delete objects that have been deleted from your model, not from the imported model.
Normally, default settings would be used by most users.
- Click OK or Apply.
- Click OK in the Import Model dialog box to import the updated model.
- Create reports on the Report tab to compare the various imports.