Snapshots in drawings
With snapshots you can take a quick look at any drawings without opening the drawing. Use this tool when you just want to check but not edit a drawing, or take a look at several drawings while trying to find the one you are looking for, for example, a certain drawing revision. Using snapshot overlaydrawing snapshot displayed on top of a drawing or a model
Snapshot overlays can be used to view the contents of the drawings directly in a model view without opening the actual drawing. Drawing snapshots can also be shown against the latest version of a drawing, or against another drawing in the drawing mode.
, you can view the contents of drawings directly in model viewview that is represented in the modeling mode
Model view is available also in the drawing mode and it is represented in its own window.
without opening the actual drawing. You can also show drawing snapshots against the latest version of a drawing or against another drawing in the drawing modemode that is used for editing the appearance and content of drawings
Tekla Structures switches to the drawing mode when the user opens any drawing.
. You can take snapshots of all types of drawings, and all drawing types can be overlaid with drawing snapshots.
Create and view drawing snapshots
A snapshot is by default created when you open and save a drawing. The snapshot represents the situation when the drawing was last saved, so any newer changes to the model are not reflected in the snapshot.
If you have made changes in the drawing and close it by selecting the Close button in the upper-right corner, a message box is displayed where you can select if you want to save the drawing, and also if you want to create a snapshot of the drawing when the drawing is saved.
- Select a drawing and open it from the Document manager.
- Save the drawing by going to the File menu and clicking Save drawing.
The snapshot is saved in the ..\<model>\drawings\Snapshots folder.
- Select the same drawing from the Document manager.
- Click the Snapshots button at the bottom of the Document manager to display the snapshot.
Below is an example of a snapshot.
If you have selected a drawing that does not have a snapshot and click Snapshots , an instructional view is displayed asking you to open the drawing and save it to create the snapshot.
To create a snapshot of a drawing automatically when the drawing is created, set XS_DRAWING_CREATE_SNAPSHOT_ON_DRAWING_CREATION to TRUE in the Drawing Properties category in the Advanced Options dialog box.
You can view a snapshot of a drawing while you are editing a drawing. In the snapshot overlay, you can see the latest changes, and can align the drawing content, for example. You can see the changes in a drawing since the latest update, and switch between the snapshot and the actual drawing.
Finding the correct drawing by going through the snapshots is much faster than opening the actual drawings one by one.
- Texts are one sided when viewed from the model, and DX graphics do not support text in snapshots.
- Overlay in the model was not designed to work for the 3D drawing views .
- Views that are outside the printing area are displayed in the model overlay.
- Reading large GA drawingdrawing that is created from one or more model views and that shows information needed to understand the general arrangement of structural elements on a project
General arrangement drawings show how parts, assemblies, cast units, or pour objects are located in a building.
snapshots may take a long time.
- Loading the snapshot takes longer for the first snapshot than for the rest.
Before you can see a snapshot overlay of a drawing, you need to create a snapshot by opening a drawing, selecting the Create snapshot check box and saving the drawing.
Below you can see the settings in the snapshot view:
Snapshot overlay in model
- Open Document manager and select a drawing.
- Click Snapshots.
- At the top of the displayed snapshot dialog box, under Overlay in model , select the Overlay check box. You can also select a color for the snapshot.
Cast unit drawings are generally used either at the element factory or at the construction site.
Snapshot overlay in drawings
- Click Drawing > Drawing list , and open a drawing that has changed after the latest snapshot.
- Still in Document manager , select the same drawing and click Snapshots.
- Select one of the options under Overlay in drawing :
Overlay : Show the snapshot on the actual drawing so that both are visible.
Show snapshot only : Show the snapshot only without the actual drawing.
None : Quickly switch to the actual drawing.
- Select a color for the snapshot.
In the example below, the size of the cast unit has changed since the snapshot was taken.
If a plan view GA drawing is open, and you want to align content using another GA drawing, you can open a snapshot of the second drawing on the first one, and snap to the snapshot, when placing or moving objects in an open drawing. You can snap to drawing snapshotimage of a drawing that shows the drawing as it was at a certain point in time
Drawing snapshots make it possible to have a quick look at any drawing without opening the drawing. Snapshots are used, for example, for finding a certain drawing edition. Snapshots can be viewed in Tekla Structures but they cannot be edited.
overlays with the Snap to geometry lines / points snap switchswitch used for controlling what kind of points Tekla Structures snaps to
The user needs to activate snap switches to be able to pick different points, for example, line ends and intersections.
Snap switches help the user to pick points in order to position model objects precisely without having to know the coordinates or create additional lines or points.