Trimble Connector and other interoperability improvements
Trimble Connector improvements
Tekla Structures 2018 introduces the following Trimble Connectorfeature that enables interoperability between Tekla Structures and Trimble Connect application
improvements and changes:
You can add attachments to ToDo notes.
IFC2x3 export in Trimble Connector now supports the use of IFCfile format commonly used in BIM that facilitates software interoperability
IFC is an open specification developed by the IAI (International Alliance for Interoperability).
Model can be exported into an IFC file.
You can collaborate with Trimble Connect Desktop.
Coordinate system has been removed from Trimble Connector settings, because it now follows what has been set in the workplane handler.
You first need to open a Tekla Structures model and Trimble Connector , open a project in Trimble Connector , and select the needed objects from the model.
To add an attachment:
Create a ToDo note following the instructions in section Trimble Connector. Then clickAdd attachment , and do one or both of the following:
Clickandto browse for a file on your computer and add it to the selected Trimble Connect(1) Trimble’s platform for microservices in the cloud
(1) Trimble Connect platform’s microservices include services for uploading, storing, processing, and managing or consuming data. These services are meant to provide common solutions required by multiple applications.
(2) application for information sharing and collaboration for construction projects that is based on the Trimble Connect platform
(2) Reference models are used in Trimble Connect application instead of using import and export.
(2) Trimble Connect application includes web, desktop and mobile clients, and the Sync tool, for example.
Clickto browse for a file on your computer, click Add from my computer and attach it to the current ToDo note.
Click OK and click Save to synchronize the ToDo containing the attachment to Trimble Connect.
Double-clicking the attachment opens the file if Windows has association to the file name extension. Model files are not opened.
IFC2x3 export based on standard file settings
You can now export IFC2x3 files in Trimble Connector using saved IFC settings. The settings file needs to be located in the model \attributes folder. If you do not select a settings file, the IFC model is created of parts only, not assemblies.
To use the settings file:
- In Tekla Structures , go to File > Export > IFC , adjust the settings as required and save the settings with a unique name.
In Trimble Connector , open a project and a project folderfolder that is used for storing Tekla Structures-related files customized for a particular project
, click to start the export, enter the required details, and select the settings file from the Export settings from standard file list.
For more information about IFC export in Trimble Connector , see section Trimble Connector.
Collaborate with Trimble Connect Desktop
The new Tekla Structures - Trimble Connect Desktop interoperability tool in Trimble Connector allows the collaboration between Trimble Connect Desktop and Tekla Structures. The collaboration requires Trimble Connect Desktop , a valid license and Trimble Identity.
You can download Trimble Connect Desktop from https://app.connect.trimble.com/tc/app#/store. You can download the Tekla Structures - Trimble Connect Desktop interoperability tool from Tekla Warehouse.
For more information, see Tekla Structures - Trimble Connect Desktop interoperability.
Before collaborating, you need to do the following:
- In Trimble Connect Desktop , open a project, and in Tekla Structures , open a model.
- In Trimble Connector , export the Tekla Structures model to Trimble Connect in IFC format.
- Download and make the model visible in Trimble Connect Desktop.
The following buttons are available in Trimble Connector for collaboration between Tekla Structures and Trimble Connect Desktop :
- To adjust a Trimble Connect Desktop view, select a Tekla Structures view, and click in Trimble Connector.
- To adjust Tekla Structures view camera and projection based on Trimble Connect Desktop view , select a Trimble Connect Desktop view and click in Trimble Connector.
- To select Tekla Structures native model objects based on Trimble Connect Desktop object selection, click in Trimble Connector..
- To select Trimble Connect Desktop objects based on Tekla Structures object selection, click in Trimble Connector. Selection also supports assembly levelassembly’s place in the assembly hierarchy
The assembly level is expressed as a number.
Reference model import plug-ins available as .tsep packages
Reference modelmodel which the designer can use as an aid when building another model
A reference model is created in Tekla Structures or in other software and can be inserted to Tekla Structures. The reference model appears together with the model but it is not modified by Tekla Structures. The user can snap to reference model points.
For example, an architectural model, a plant design model, or a heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC) model can be a reference model.
plug-in updates are now available as .tsep packages in Tekla Warehouse. Tekla Structures installation contains version level plug-ins, but you can get newer ones from Tekla Warehouseservice for collaboration and for storing and sharing Tekla Structures content
In Tekla Warehouse the content items are stored in collections. Tekla Warehouse includes the Tekla Warehouse Service and the Tekla Warehouse web site.
Tekla Warehouse is one of the Tekla online services.
. First download the needed package from Tekla Warehouse , and then import it to the Applications & components cataloguser interface for displaying or modifying information in categorized lists
For example, profile catalog and shape catalog are catalogs.
. There are .tsep packages for the following plug-ins:
AutoCAD ( .dxf )
AutoCAD ( .dwg )
Cadmatic ( .3dd )
IFC ( .ifc , .ifczip , .ifcxml )
IGES ( .igs , .iges )
LandXML ( .xml )
MicroStation ( .dgn , .prp )
Tekla Collaboration ( .tczip )
SketchUp ( .skp )
STEP ( .stp , .STEP )
For more information about .tsep packages, see Import a .tsep extension to the Applications & components catalog.
Tekla Structures 2018 contains the following new plug-ins:
New DWG plug-ins: Version 1.37, which includes support for AutoCAD 2018, and version 1.28, which includes integration to Teigha 4.3.1.
A new DGN plug-in version 1.37, which includes integration to Teigha 4.3.1.
A new SketchUp plug-in version 1.55.
A new Step/IGES plug-in 3.15.
You can now show bent line information for bent plates and polybeampart of a certain shape that is created as a continuous chain of beams passing through points that the user picks
The segments of the polybeam are straight, but segment intersections can be curved. For example, a beam that follows a zigzag line is a polybeam.
plates in the NC filefile that contains information gathered from a model and exported to computer numerical controlled fabrication machinery
Tekla Structures produces NC files in several formats, for example, DSTV.
KA block. Go to the Advanced Options tab in the NC File Settings dialog box, and under Create KA block for , select Unfolded bent plates and Unfolded polybeam plates.