- Common to all US Roles
- Steel Detailing Role
- Engineering Role
- Precast Detailing Role
- Cast In Place Role / Rebar Detailing Role
1.1 Environment ini files
The following variable was modified in the US environment ini files:
- XS_SOLID_BUFFER_SIZE - this variable was modified by increasing the value from 480000 to 1000000. This increase will help decrease performance issues.
- The Profile cataloguser interface for displaying or modifying information in categorized lists
For example, profile catalog and shape catalog are catalogs.
has been updated based on the latest AISC Steel Construction manual (15th Edition).
Reinforcing Bar Shape Catalog
- The following shapes were added to the Reinforcing Bar Shape Catalogcatalog that displays a list of predefined reinforcing bar shapes
1.3 User-Defined Attributes
The following changes were made to the objects.inp file used by all roles.
- Tekla Structural Designer UDAs - The following UDAs have been added to this tab.
- Release Info UDAobject property created by the user in order to widen the range of predefined object properties
User-defined attributes are used when the predefined object properties are not sufficient but more properties are needed. For example, comment, locked, and erection status are user-defined attributes.
- the following UDA has been added to this tab.
- updated attributes for these fixed Concrete and Steel components.
- Removed -
The following custom components have been removed from the US environment.
- Masonry (CMU) Components - use the CMU Tools located in the Tekla Warehouseservice for collaboration and for storing and sharing Tekla Structures content
In Tekla Warehouse the content items are stored in collections. Tekla Warehouse includes the Tekla Warehouse Service and the Tekla Warehouse web site.
Tekla Warehouse is one of the Tekla online services.
- Bent Rebar Components
To support the customize dimension lineline that visualizes the distance between the defined dimension points
Separate dimensions can be combined into a longer dimension line.
arrow functionality, all dimension and leader attributes have been updated so the resulting symbols are what you would expect.
2.1 Steel Detailing Role
The Steel Detailing Role was created to include only the items needed to use Tekla Structures for Steel Detailing and Steel Fabrication. This Role combines the contents of the environment folders with the contents of the us_roles\steel folders. The Role_Steel_Detailing.ini file located in the usimp (usmet) folder runs after the env_US_imperial.ini (env_US_metric.ini) file is run.
2.2 Model Template
The Steel Detailing role’s model templatemodel which is used as a basis for creating new models
The user can save a model including all its elements, such as object properties, certain settings, parts, and components, in a model template.
has been updated to support the new/updated Custom Components.
2.3 User-Defined Attributes
There are no role-specific UDA changes that affect Steel Detailing.
There are no role-specific Modeling changes that affect Steel Detailing.
The following Publish Attributes and Groups have been added to the Applications & Components catalog.
There are no role-specific Report changes that affect Steel Detailing.
- TypeAM-Drg_Handrail_TL_BOM - Added a column for Material Grade.
GA Drawing attributes
The following GA Drawingdrawing that is created from one or more model views and that shows information needed to understand the general arrangement of structural elements on a project
General arrangement drawings show how parts, assemblies, cast units, or pour objects are located in a building.
attributes have been updated.
- Plan - the default filters and object level settingsdrawing settings that affect the representation of selected drawing objects
Object level settings can be defined when creating a new drawing or when modifying an open drawing.
Object level settings can be use in a drawing or in a drawing view in order to change the representation of the chosen drawing objects.
have been tweaked to better output stair assemblies.
The following View Properties attribute has been updated.
- Sectcut - this attribute has been updated to improving the resulting view.
3.1 Engineering Role
The Engineering Role was created to include items an engineer needs to use Tekla Structures. This Role combines the contents of the environment folders with the contents of the us_roles\engineering folders. The Role_Engineering.ini file, located in the usimp (usmet) folder, runs after the env_US_imperial.ini (env_US_metric.ini) file is run.
3.2 Model Templates
The Engineering role’s model template has been updated to support the new/updated Custom Components.
3.3 User-Defined Attributes
There are no role-specific UDA changes that affect Engineering other than those mentioned above in the Common section.
There are no role-specific Modeling changes that affect Engineering.
- Edge and Corner (62) - The standard attribute for this component has been updated to match industry standards.
- Meshreinforcement that represents a mesh of steel bars in two perpendicular directions
In Tekla Structures, the reinforcement mesh bars in one direction are called main bars and reinforcement mesh bars perpendicular to them are called crossing bars.
Bars - a new attribute named "No Splice" has been added so customers can quickly load a preset without splicing.
There are no role-specific Report changes that affect Engineering.
There are no role-specific Template changes that affect Engineering.
There are no role-specific Drawing changes that affect Engineering.
4.1 Precast Detailing Role
The Precast Detailing Role was created to include only the items needs to use Tekla Structures for Precast Detailing. This Role combines the contents of the environment folders with the contents of the us_roles\precast folders. The Role_Precast_Detailing.ini file located in the usimp (usmet) folder runs after the env_US_imperial.ini (env_US_metric.ini) file is run.
- XS_ATTRIBUTE_FILE_EXCLUDE_LIST - this variable has been modified to also include the following text; cu_standard;standard_assembly_;standard_cast_unit_;RebarMeshView;standard_single_part_
4.2 Model Template
The Precast Detailing role’s model template has been updated to support the new/updated Custom Components.
4.3 User-defined Attributes
There are no role-specific UDA changes that affect Precast Detailing other than those mentioned above in the Common section.
- Added or Updated
Steel column attributes
- Cipcast unit type where the concrete is formed, poured, and cured in its final position
- Field Hardware
- Precast_Embedbuilding object that represents an object that is to be cast into a concrete structure and that is used to connect structures or as an aid when constructing a structure
For example, a cast-in socket is an embed that is placed in concrete structures to allow parts to be bolted together on site. In Tekla Structures, embeds are modeled as steel sub-assemblies that are inside a concrete nested assembly.
Steel beam attributes
- Field Hardware
- Precast_Embed Secondary
Coutour plate(1) part that represents a flat structure
(1) In some contexts, for example in analysis, the term plate object may be used to refer to plates.
(2) plate that represents a steel structure
(2) Plate is mainly used as a connection piece or as a floor plate.
- Field Hardware
- Precast_Embed Secondary
Concrete column attributes
Concrete beam attributes
Concrete panel attributes
Concrete slabplate that represents a concrete structure
In Tekla Structures, a slab is created by picking three or more points.
Slab may be part of a floor, for example.
Reinforcing barreinforcement that represents a steel bar used to reinforce a concrete structure
The steel bars are usually ribbed and they are used to increase the tensile strength of concrete.
, Reinforcing bar groupgroup of reinforcing bars that are side by side and have identical properties, except the possible variation in bar lengths
, and Rebar Sets attributes
Steel column attributes
Steel beam attributes
Coutour plate attributes
The following attributes have been added for Precast Cast Units.
- Double Tee
- Flat Slab
- Wallplate that represents a structure such as a wall or roof panel
In Tekla Structures, a panel is created by picking two or more points.
- It Beam
- LB Spandrel
- Ledge Beam
- NLB Spandrel
- Rectangular Beam
The following attributes have been added for Cast in Place Cast Units.
- Pad Footingfooting that supports a single point of contact
Pad footing usually supports one column.
- Strip Footingfooting that supports several points of contact or a region of points of contact
Strip footing supports a length of wall or a line of closely spaced columns, for example.
In Tekla Structures, strip footing has a polygon shape that the user defines by picking points.
A new selection filterfilter used for defining which object types can be selected
Selection filter chooses model objects according to object properties.
Selection filters can be standard or user-defined.
For example, selection filters can be used to select parts for drawings or analysis.
named Precast_Sandwich Panel has been added.
The standard attribute has been modified to display pieces over 60,000 lbs as red.
A new property templatedefinition of object property layout for the property table in object browser
The property template is saved in an .xml file or in the Organizer database.
named Mesh Reinforcement was added in the Organizertool for categorizing and managing model information, object properties and object property queries, and model object classification
The Organizer consists of two tools, object browser and categories.
The Categories section now has three groups; Cast Units, Reinforcement and Hardware.
- Wall layout - 18 new attributes have been created for this component.
- Automated reinforcement layout - double tee beam - the standard attribute has been updated in this component.
Applications & Components catalog
The following components have been reorganized from the Precast Detailing > More Components group to the Precast Detailing > Reinforcement group.
- Mesh Bars
- Mesh Bars by Area
- Multi Wire Size Mesh
- Post Tensioning Plugin
- Rebar Coupler
- Rebar End Anchor
- Rebar End Trimming
- Rebar Holesmall hollow open throughout a part or assembly that is usually used for fastening parts with bolts or other such objects
Hole is created in the same way as bolts and hole properties are defined in the bolt properties.
- Reinforcement Strandreinforcement that represents a group of wires spun together
- Slab Reinforcement Tool
- Wall Panel Reinforcement
- Wall to Wall Connection
- Wall Groove Seam Detail
The following reports have been added to this role.
- 320 CIP Hardware All.rpt
- 325 CIP Hardware All.xls.rpt
The following reports have been updated in this role.
- 230 Hardware All.rpt - Organized by Type of Hardware (Precast, CIP, Erection Material)
- 230 Mesh List - Now displays reinforcement per individual cast unit
- 530 Drawing Status Shop - Calculates the percentage based on Number of Cast Units instead of the number of pieces
- 630 Erection Sequence – Used the ORDER template attributeattribute in a template object that Tekla Structures uses to calculate and display information from a model database
Template attributes represent object properties.
that works with the Construction SequencerTekla Structures tool for creating named sequences for parts and assigning sequence numbers to the parts
Sequencer is used for defining erection sequences, for example.
The following reports have been removed from this role.
- 336 Concrete Takeoff
There are no role-specific Template changes that affect Precast Detailing.
The following drawing settingssettings that control what the drawing looks like and what it includes
Drawing settings can be defined in the modeling mode when creating a drawing, and they can be modified in the drawing mode.
The range of the objects and elements that drawing settings affect may vary.
were added to this role.
- Cast Unit Drawingdrawing that displays information on concrete parts, including reinforcement, cast-in embeds, edge chamfers, and insulation, in a cast unit
Cast unit drawings are generally used either at the element factory or at the construction site.
- Cast Unit Drawing Properties - View Creation
- View Properties
The following drawing settings were removed.
5.1 Cast In Place (or Rebar Detailing) Role
The Cast In Place (and Rebar Detailing) Role was created to include only the items needs to use Tekla Structures for Cast In Place / Rebar Detailing projects. This Role combines the contents of the environment folders with the contents of the us_roles\castinplace folders. The Role_Cast_In_Place.ini (or Role_Rebar_Detailing.ini) file located in the usimp (usmet) folder runs after the env_US_imperial.ini (env_US_metric.ini) file is run.
5.2 Model Template
The Cast In Place (and Rebar Detailing) role’s model template has been updated to support the new/updated Custom Components.
5.3 User-defined Attributes
There are no role-specific UDA changes that affect Cast In Place (and Rebar Detailing) other than those mentioned above in the Common section.
The following Reinforcing bar, Reinforcing bar group and Rebar Set attributes were added.
- Embed bars
The following Reinforcing bar and Reinforcing bar group attributes were removed.
There are no role specific Component changes that affect Cast In Place (and Rebar Detailing) other than those mentioned above in the Common section.
There are no role specific Report changes that affect Cast In Place (and Rebar Detailing).
There are no role-specific Template changes that affect Cast In Place (and Rebar Detailing).
New Object Level Settings settings have been added.
- Color Concrete Faces by CIP Type
- Color Concrete Faces
If you missed what was done by your local technical team in previous versions (2017i and earlier) you can download the at localization notes here.