Spiral beams in drawings
Spiral beams can be show in drawings either folded or unfolded. In unfolded views, spiral beambeam that follows the form of a helix and is defined by a start point, center point and the rotation axis
Spiral beams can be concrete spiral beams or steel spiral beams. They can be used to create spiral staircases, complex architectural structures, and concrete parking ramps, for example.
Spiral beam can rise from the work plane or be flat. If the spiral beam rises, the total rise is defined between the start and the end point.
is unfolded straight.
In the example below, the Unfolded option is set to Yes and in view properties on the Attributes 2 tab. Note that the part is cut in the view.
In the following example, the Unfolded option is set to No.
Dimension spiral beams
You can add straight dimensions, angle dimensions and radius dimensions to spiral beams.
In the following, the automatic creation of dimensions is explained. You can also create dimensions in spiral beams in an existing drawing in view level properties.
- On the Drawings & reports tab, click Drawing properties and select the drawing type.
- Click View creation , select the view and the properties that you want to change, and click View properties.
- Click Dimensioning on the options tree.
- Add a row and select Spiral beam dimensions as the Dimensioning type , select the desired dimensioning rule properties and click Edit rule.
- In the Dimensioning rule properties dialog box, select the dimension properties that you want to use from Straight dimensions , Angle dimensions and Angle and radius dimensions.
If none of the available properties suit your needs, open a drawing, click Drawing > Properties > Dimension , and edit and save the needed dimension properties so that they are available for selecting in the spiral beam Dimensioning rule properties dialog box for the three dimension types.
- Save the dimension rule properties by entering a unique name and clicking Save as.
- Save the view properties by clicking Save and return to the drawing properties dialog box by clicking Close.
- Click Save to save the drawing properties, then click OK and create the drawing.
Spiral beam part marks
You can show the rotation of the spiral beam in part marks. The rotation angle is defined in the spiral beam properties in the model.
You can add part marks to spiral beams in the same way as for other parts: click a spiral beam, right-click and select Add part mark or on the Drawing tab, click Part mark and select For selected parts. Or then you can define automatic marks in drawing properties before creating the drawing.
Examples of spiral beam dimensions and marks
The example below shows a straight dimension and a part markmark that includes a set of selected property elements related to a part
Part marks are made use of, for example, when identifying constructions, when giving information about welding, when giving information about assemblies to a workshop, when giving information about how parts should be connected to each other, and when creating bills of quantities.
In the US, the term piece mark is used to refer to position number.
that contains the rotation angle information:
The following example shows a radius dimension of a spiral beam: