Define view dimensions
Define the dimensioning rule properties to be used in the drawing views that you just created. This is phase 3 in the workflow Add automatic view-level dimensions.
If you are planning to use filters to select the parts that you want to dimension, you need to create the drawing viewview that includes selected model objects or an area in the model, that is represented in a drawing
A drawing view is a container for model and drawing objects.
A drawing can include several drawing views, which usually are two-dimensional views, plane views, to the model.
Examples of drawing views in Tekla Structures include main views, section views, single-part views, and 3D views.
filters first, for example, for selecting embeds, inner panels or outer panels.
You need to create separate dimensioning rules for each dimensioning type. For example, the rules made with Overall dimensions are valid for Overall dimensions only, not for Shape dimensions , for example.
To define dimensions for a view:
- Select a view in the View creation panel and click View properties.
- In the View Properties dialog box, click Dimensioning in the options tree to define the dimensions to be created for the selected view.
- Click Add row to add a rule.
Here we add two rows.
The order of the rules in the list defines the order of the dimension lines in the drawing: the dimension created by the first rule is placed closest to the dimensioned object
At the moment, the filter can only be set for the Integrated dimensions in this panel. You are able to select the filter in the Dimensioning Rule Properties dialog box, and you can leave the selection Current assembly in the Filter column for all rules.
Leave Current assembly in the Filter column.
- Select the Dimensioning type for the selected rules.
Here we select overall dimensions and holesmall hollow open throughout a part or assembly that is usually used for fastening parts with bolts or other such objects
Hole is created in the same way as bolts and hole properties are defined in the bolt properties.
- Click one of the rules and click Edit Rule.
- In the Dimensioning Rule Properties dialog box, define what to dimension, and where and how to place the dimensions. From the Dimension properties list, select a suitable set of saved dimension properties to change the dimension appearance, dimension text font size or color, for example.
- Give the dimensioning rule a unique name and click Save as.
- Click Close.
- Define other dimensioning rules needed for the view following the steps 5 - 8.
- Select correct properties for the rules.
Even though the dimension lines are created and placed by default in the order that you define them in the View creation panel, Tekla Structures searches for the first suitable location for the dimension lines according to the placement and protection settings. So the dimension placement may not always follow the creation order. Check the result and adjust the location of the dimension lines if necessary.
- In the top-left corner, give a unique name to the view properties and click Save to save your changes to the view properties file.